Insurance under my name for car owned by parent

My mom wants to buy a car for me to use while I am helping her out for a few months and will be back and forth regularly. She lives in PA and I live in CA. Is it possible to get car insurance under my name although she will be the owner/registered to her?

Jan 24, 2018 Norristown, Pennsylvania

Ava Lynch

Jan 24, 2018

What I recommend doing for this situation, because it might be complicated for an insurance company, is have your mother buy, register, and insure the vehicle in California. She then needs to add you as a driver on the insurance policy so you can use the vehicle regularly. You might run into trouble trying to insure a vehicle in one state when it's registered in another - as most insurance companies require your vehicle be registered in the same state as its insured.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.
Related Questions