How do I insure a car that I'm driving but the title and financing isn't in my name?

Due to a recent bankruptcy, my mother financed a car for me. The lease and title are both in her name. We don't live together, so how would I get auto insurance on the vehicle? Would it just have to be in her name? Can the car be housed at my house? Would I be listed as a "driver"?

Aug 11, 2019 Tiffin, OH

Kristine Lee

Aug 11, 2019

Since the car is kept at your home, you would need to insure the car in your name and address. You will also need to list your mother as a driver on the policy since she is the owner, and as an additional interest on the policy since she has a financial claim to the car. Lastly, you will need to list the finance company as the lienholder since they own the loan. Good luck and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Below is some information you might find useful.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.
Related Questions