Ask An Agent


Get free car insurance advice on demand



How long do I have to file a claim in Nevada?

I slid into a curb a while ago and broke my front wheel, some suspension parts, my fender, and some other miscellaneous parts. i got it towed to my house and it has been parked for about 2 months. I was trying to save money to buy the parts but my bills keep piling up. The total amount for the parts would probably be around $1000. Can I still file a claim if I can’t afford the repairs on my own? Does it make more sense to try and fix it on my own?

Agent Answer

Neil Richardson

You should keep in mind that you will have to pay your deductible if you decide to file a claim. Since you hit a curb, it will be considered an at fault accident and your rate will likely be increased. In Nevada, our State of Insurance report shows that an accident will cause your rate to increase by about $945 per year and accidents will impact your rate for 3 years. With the repair cost being so low I would recommend paying for the damage yourself, but if your deductible is less than $1,000 and you can’t afford to pay for the repair on your own then you might consider filing. You only have 1 year to file a claim in Nevada so I would recommend contacting your insurance company as soon as possible; if that’s the route you’d like to go. Ultimately the decision is up to you, but I would consider all of these things to help you make the right choice for your situation.

Was this helpful?

1 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More