My car is titled under my boyfriend's name and is now totaled but he's in jail. What do I do?

My name is not on the title (just bought the car from my boyfriend). I carried insurance coverage on the vehicle because I was driving it. Now that he's in jail and I don't have the title, I have a total loss claim on my insurance. How do I resolve this?

Jan 12, 2020 San Antonio, TX

Kristine Lee

Jan 12, 2020

The claim payout for the total loss will only go to the lienholder or owner and not a third party. Your boyfriend will need to somehow sign the check or the vehicle over to you so you can remedy the situation. If he has a lawyer handling his affairs, you may want to try contacting them to see if they can help work this out.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.