My insurance company wants to deem my car totaled. Can this be disputed?

My truck was hit by an uninsured motorist. I have collision and UIM coverages. Body damage to my truck exceeds its value and the insurance company wants to total it, which generates a salvage title and much hassle with the DMV. I wish to claim UIM coverage ($3,500) and not use the collision coverage to avoid the salvage title. I will pay the balance of the body shop invoice out-of-pocket. What should I expect from the insurance company?

Jan 16, 2020 Santa Maria, CA

Kristine Lee

Jan 16, 2020

Typically, an insurance claims department will do whatever ends up the cheapest for them. Unfortunately, they will almost never negotiate the claim type or even how they pay out on it. If the $3,500 is lower than the amount they would be paying they may be open to that idea, but it is up to them at the end of the day. I suggest you contact your insurer and try to work this out with them.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.
Related Questions