My son got a DUI, I will be selling the vehicle & removing him from my GEICO policy. Do I need to report it?

My son is 26. The vehicle is damaged from hitting a curb — the front tire on the passenger side broke off. Have recovered the vehicle from impound and may repair the vehicle but will be removing it from my policy immediately. No other property damage, so no claims will be filed. Do I need to report this incident to my insurance company?

Sep 9, 2019 Las Vegas, NV

Kristine Lee

Sep 9, 2019

If you choose to repair the damage to your son's car using your insurance, you will need to file a claim and tell your insurer what happened. The claim will impact your rates, but removing your son will not impact your rates as much as leaving him on the policy. Because he has a DUI on his record, that would increase rates in addition to the accident.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.