Do I need to buy a flood insurance policy for my car?

I recently bought a home and went through the process of homeowners insurance, and my friend told me that I also needed to get flood insurance. I didn’t realize flood insurance was a separate thing, and now I’m worried about my car insurance. Do I have to buy flood insurance for my home and auto or just my home?

Feb 26, 2017 Biloxi, MS

Neil Richardson

Feb 26, 2017

While it is correct that your home will need a separate policy for flood coverage, you do not need it for your auto insurance as long as you have comprehensive coverage. Comprehensive covers things like fire, theft, vandalism, and flooding. Flood Insurance is specifically for your home and is regulated by the federal government through FEMA.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.