Do I need to maintain an SR-22 even if I'm outside the United States for a few months?

I'll be leaving the country for a while. I want to know if I can suspend my SR-22 and insurance policy while I'm away.

Jul 19, 2019 Columbus, OH

Ross Martin

Jul 19, 2019

Hello, If you continue to pay your insurance premium, your insurance and SR-22 will not be in jeopardy because you are abroad. However, if you don't pay your bill and let your policy expire, your coverage will be cancelled along with with your SR-22. Your best bet in this situation is to continue paying for insurance, especially if your stint abroad is only going to be a few months. As the holder of an SR-22, you risk losing your driving privileges if you let your coverage lapse, as your insurance company is legally required to notify the Ohio BMV. If you plan on selling your car while you are away, you may consider non-owners insurance to fill the gap. Furthermore, having a lapse in insurance coverage will almost certainly cause your rates to increase when you purchase insurance again. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.
Related Questions