Do I need new car insurance after separation with jointly titled vehicles?

I'm nearing finalizing my divorce. Agent states I have to get a new auto policy because the cars are garaged at a different address. One vehicle titled in my name, one titled jointly at my address, two titled jointly at his address. Agent says the cars can't be covered at two different addresses and will cancel the policy which is due for renewal soon.

Jul 1, 2019 Roanoke, VA

Kristine Lee

Jul 1, 2019

Any vehicle that is parked and garaged at your address needs to be insured for that location. Car insurance companies use your address and zip code as a risk factor. For the vehicle that is jointly titled at your address, you and your soon-to-be ex-husband need to be listed on the policy as additional interests. An additional interest means an individual has a financial stake or ownership in the vehicle. If there is a claim check, it will be made to both of you. Another solution to this is to have your ex-husband sign over his portion of the title to you. This might be your best option. For the two vehicles jointed titled at his address, it is the opposite — he needs the vehicle insured at his residence and you both need to be additional interests on his policy. We can help you look for quotes from dozens of insurers at The Zebra to help you compare and find the best rate. If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to ask. For more information, see our additional resources below.

Compare auto insurance rates and save up to $670 per year!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmarkNo junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.