Do I need a police report to file a claim?

My son's car was parked at his girlfriend's parents house. While backing out of the driveway, her brother clipped my son's car and caused some damage. Her brother is 20 yrs old and does not have any insurance. I would estimate the damage ~$2-$3K (I have $1K deductible). Do I need to get a police report for this claim? How is the insurance company going to react to this since I know the person and they don't have insurance?

Sep 24, 2017 Casa Grande, AZ

Neil Richardson

Sep 24, 2017

Accidents that occur on private property do not require a police report in order to file a claim. Your familiarity with the other driver does not impact your ability to file a claim, however the fact that he is uninsured means that you will have to pay your deductible for the repairs. It should be a fairly straightforward process. You do have the option of paying for the repairs yourself or working out something with the other driver to pay for the damage if you want to avoid a claim. The important thing to keep in mind is that, if you do decide to file a claim, your vehicle should be covered if your policy includes collision or uninsured motorist property damage coverage (UMPD is required in New Jersey so you should have it on your policy).

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.
Related Questions