Ask An Agent


Get free insurance advice on demand



Do I need an sr-22 if my license is suspended indefinitely and I live with my girlfriend who holds the policy?

I live with my girlfriend who is the primary driver, as I have an indefinitely suspended license due to a DWI. May I list my name on her policy as an adult who lives in the home, or do I need an sr-22 to be covered in the event of an emergency in which I am required to drive?

Agent Answer

Ava Lynch

You will need to check with the DMV to see if you are required to have an SR-22. In most cases, you would get an SR-22 to get your license reinstated. Since you do live with your girlfriend, you will need to be listed on the policy. If you are included as a driver, your driving history will affect the rates, even if you’re only driving in case of an emergency. If you do not want to be able to drive the vehicle, you will need to be listed as an excluded driver. Being excluded means you are not covered to drive the vehicle at all. Good luck and if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Was this helpful?

0 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More