Need to pick up a damaged vehicle from impound that's not in my name

What do I do if my mother's car (that I drive) was stolen, and then found vandalized and damaged in the middle of the street? My mother's car was stolen and then found in the middle of the street about 24hr later, vandalized and damaged. I am not the owner of the vehicle, so therefore I was told I can't file a police report. The car is in Auto Pound and also can't pick it up because I am not the owner of the vehicle, but I am on the insurance. Therefore I don't know how bad the damage of the vehicle is since I can't get access to it yet. What do I do?

Jul 25, 2018 Chicago, IL

Ava Lynch

Jul 25, 2018

I'm sorry to hear that happened to the car you drive. Unfortunately, since the car is owned by your mom, she will have to be the one to get it out of impound and file the police report. The only way around this would be for your mom to transfer the title into your name. It is good that you are a listed driver on the policy. Most companies require you to report incidents as soon as possible. Typically, you will need to have comprehensive coverage to cover the damages to the car. Check out our guide to filing claims to learn what to expect from the claims process.  Good luck and if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.