My son does not have insurance and has had an accident

My teenage son only has his permit, but while he was driving, he damaged my car in an accident. Since he is not a fully licensed driver, he is not on my policy yet. Should I still file a claim?

Jul 8, 2018 Amarillo, TX

Taylor Covington

Jul 8, 2018

This can be tricky because it will depend on how your policy is written. I would look at the details of your car insurance policy and see if "permissive users" and "permitted drivers" are covered. If they are, you should be able to file a claim. However, bear in mind that this kind of accident will raise your rates. On average, in 2020 an at-fault accident in Texas raised car insurance premiums 45%. Because of this, I would recommend getting an estimate for the repairs prior to filing a claim. If the value of the damage is greater than the value of the premium increase (45% over 3 years), then you should file a claim. We say 3 years because that is typically how long you will be charged for a ticket or citation by your insurance company. Here's a great guide that outlines when you should and shouldn't file with your insurance company. Plus, having a teenager on your policy can make your rates go way up. Feel free to see if you're getting the lowest price on car insurance with us at The Zebra.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.