Ask An Agent


Get free insurance advice on demand



Owner originally declined to involve insurance then changed his mind

My son accidentally backed into a car at his school. He notified the owner and offered his insurance and info. He declined at first. Now he has changed his mind, what’s your advice? Can he do that?

Agent Answer

Ava Lynch

Even if he originally denied wanting to get insurance involved, he can change his mind. I recommend reviewing the damage caused by your son and the damage to the vehicle, to ensure nothing else has happened to the vehicle. Also, I recommend getting an estimate for the damage to avoid a rate increase after an at-fault accident. In New York, an at-fault accident will raise your premium 14.55%. Most insurance companies will charge you for 3 years after you’ve made a claim. If the damage your son caused is greater than that 14.55% over 3 years, you might be better off filing a claim.

Here are some additional resources:

How to file a claim

Was this helpful?

0 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More