Do I have to pay two deductibles if I damaged my car and my house?

I forgot to apply the parking break on my car and it rolled through my garage. It damaged a wall and my garage door is completely destroyed. Will I have to pay a deductible for both my car and home?

Jan 21, 2017 Lehigh Acres, FL

Neil Richardson

Jan 21, 2017

Yes, because you own your home and your car, you would be filing 2 different claims. The liability coverage on your car does not extend to cover damage you cause to your own property. You will have to pay your collision deductible on your auto policy and your homeowners insurance deductible to cover the repairs to your garage. However, if you are a renter rather than a homeowner, then your vehicle's liability coverage should pay for the damage to the home since you technically do not own that property.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.
Related Questions