Ask An Agent


Get free insurance advice on demand



Is it possible for a family member to register and insure my car if I’m no longer driving?

I moved from New Jersey to Washington and left my vehicle in New Jersey. I was wondering if my mom in New Jersey would be able to register and insure my car since my license is suspended and I won’t be driving it. Can she do that?

Agent Answer

Neil Richardson

That shouldn’t be an issue, however she would need to insure the vehicle before she attempts to get tags. I believe you will first have to return your tags to the state and then she can start the process. Your best bet would be to contact a vehicle registration office in New Jersey to ask about returning the tags. From there your mom should be in the clear to start the process.

Was this helpful?

1 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More