Does progressive auto insurance cover house property damage?

I was in an automobile accident and caused damage to a fence and to a side of a house. Does my liability insurance cover both?

Jul 27, 2018 Cascade, MD

Ava Lynch

Jul 27, 2018

Yes, liability will cover damages caused to another car and or property (like a house or fence). Keep in mind, your insurance will only cover up to the limit of your property damage liability. Consider this example:
  • You strike a fence and cause is $50,000 in damages
  • You have a property damage liability limit of $15,000 - the legal limit of PD liability in Maryland.
  • After you've exhausted your 15k limit, you would be responsible for the other 35k in damage.
Before you file a claim, I would recommend getting an estimate for the damage and see if it makes financial sense to pay for the damage out-of-pocket. Because most car insurance companies will raise your rates as much as 50% after a claim, it's usually recommended to only file a claim when the value of the damage exceeds the deductible (if applicable) plus the rate increase. Here's how you can tell:
  • Use our State of Insurance to see that an at-fault accident raises rates in MD by 40%.
  • Get an estimate for the damage to the fence and side of the house.
  • Compare the 40% rate increase you would receive every three years to the out-of-pocket costs. If it is cheaper to file a claim, do that.
There's a couple of things to keep in mind with this, however. Because you at the at-fault party in this scenario, if the individual whose probably you damaged does not want to be paid out-of-pocket, you really don't have a choice. If this is the case, Here is more information regarding the claims process. Best of luck.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.