I am a returning US citizen and bringing my right-hand drive UK car with me. How can I get it insured?

It is a 1984 Mercedes but a model never made for US import at the time because the engine was considered too small! It is a gas engine, RHD (right hand drive) not modified but in restored condition and my daily driver. I currently only have a UK driving license as I let my US one expire while I was abroad but will take my AL test before the car is imported. I just need this beloved car insured so I can drive it.

Jul 2, 2019 Greenville, AL

Kristine Lee

Jul 2, 2019

You can get insurance for an imported RHD vehicle, but be prepared to shop around because not all car insurance companies would be willing to cover it. It all depends on the company. You would need to speak with an agent as you will not be able to quote an imported vehicle online. You can call us at 888-807-3823 and we can quote you with several companies at once. If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to ask. For more information, see our additional resources below.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmarkNo junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.