If someone borrows a car and there is an accident, should the claim be filed with the driver's insurance or with the car owner's?

I borrowed my father's car. In a parking lot, the wind blew the door open and hit the door of the neighboring car causing a small dent. The owner of the other car brought it to the body shop and the estimate is about $1600. First question is, should we file a claim for this amount of damage? Is there a way to know how much the premiums will go up? Also, if we are to file a claim does it get filed with my insurance our my father's?

Sep 6, 2016 New York, NY

Neil Richardson

Sep 6, 2016

Ultimately, the decision to file a claim or not will be up to you and your dad. You can use our State of Insurance report to give yourself an idea how much an At Fault accident will affect your rates, but there is no way to tell with 100% accuracy until you are charged for the accident by your company. That being said, insurance follows the vehicle so you would need to file the claim with your father's company since he owns and insures the car. Or you could pay for the damage out of your own pocket to avoid a premium increase on your father's policy. It is likely that your father would end up paying more than $1,600 in additional premium over the course of 3 years, but it may not be feasible to come up with that money.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.