What to do when someone gets in a car accident in your car and has no DL?

My car was left at my aunt's house due to not wanting to drink and drive. I took Lyft to work. I was at work and got a call from a cousin who stated he got into a car accident in my car. He is 18 and does not have a DL. What should i do?

Sep 2, 2018 Charlotte, NC

Ava Lynch

Sep 2, 2018

You will definitely want to report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible. They may cover the accident depending on whether or not you have a permissive use policy. A permissive use policy means that you can give permission to a person who does not live with you or does not drive the car regularly, to drive your car. If you have a permissive use policy, they should cover the accident. Keep in mind, if they do pay for the claim, it will go on your claims history and can impact you. It can be listed on your claims history for up to five years. I would definitely talk with your insurance company to see if they will cover the claim and go from there. Good luck and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. You can also consider getting your cousin to pay for the damage he caused out of pocket. Depending on your car insurance policy, you may still have to report the accident.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.