If someone is involved in a wreck while borrowing a vehicle, does that driver file the claim under their insurance?

  My 17 yr old kid was driving her friends car and rear ended someone. Do I claim with my insurance or does the owner of the car file the claim?

Sep 5, 2016 Hermosa Beach, CA

Neil Richardson

Sep 5, 2016

Insurance follows the vehicle and pays primary after an accident so the claim would need to be filed with the company that insures the car. If that policy does not provide enough coverage for all of the damage then the driver borrowing the vehicle would have to use their coverage for any additional damage. I hope this helps!

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.