Which state would I need to get insurance in if my daughter will be attending graduate school out-of-state and the car is in my name?

I recently purchased a 2012 Chevy Impala with a bank loan (she did not qualify for a car loan even with me as a cosigner) so that she would have a vehicle to drive while attending graduate school out of state for 2 years since she will be living off campus. Do I insure the vehicle in the state that it's registered in since it is in my name, or does it need to be insured in the state where she'll be attending graduate school since that is where the vehicle will be driven? I will not be driving the vehicle or have access to it at all.

Aug 26, 2017 Litchfield, ME

Neil Richardson

Aug 26, 2017

The vehicle will need to be insured in the state where it is driven, so you have 1 of 2 options. You can have your daughter added as a co-owner of the vehicle and she will be able to register and insure the vehicle in her name, in the new state. The other option would be for you to purchase an insurance policy, listing your daughter as an additional insured (not just an additional driver), for the address where she is living in the new state. Then you would need to apply for a new vehicle registration in that state as well. The lienholder (bank) information will also need to be listed on the policy so they receive notice that the vehicle is insured with the correct coverage.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.
Related Questions