If I swerved to avoid an accident and file a claim for the damage, will my insurance go up?

I was driving in the rain when there was a flood and I skidded near a stop sign. Ahead of me was a California Highway Patrol officer who was putting cones out to block roads. I didn't want to hit the CHP or their car so I swerved and hit a barbed wire fence. CHP gave me an accident report, but the storm caused my note to fly away in the wind after he had left the scene. How do I get a copy of the report and should I file a claim?

Jan 6, 2017 Sacramento, CA

Neil Richardson

Jan 6, 2017

You should be able to request a copy of the report from the highway patrol since they should have a record of it. As for filing a claim, that decision will be completely up to you, but you will likely be charged for an at fault accident since no other vehicle was involved. If your damage is minimal then you might consider paying for the repairs out of pocket, so you should probably get a repair estimate before making a final decision.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.