If I am taking over payments on my brother's auto loan and leaving the car in his name, can I insure it?

I already have car insurance and just want to add the vehicle to my policy. Will I be able to do this?

Aug 21, 2017 Pasadena, MD

Neil Richardson

Aug 21, 2017

You may be able to add the vehicle to an existing policy, but the registration and insurance will be in the name of two different people, which can create an issue with the state. I would recommend adding your brother as a second named insured on your policy, which means he has the same rights on the policy as you, and then add the vehicle. Ultimately the decision to insure the vehicle under your policy is up to your insurance company.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.