Temporary car insurance for foreign driver in US

I'm looking for car insurance as an Australian traveling to Bozeman, Montana for 6 weeks. I will be borrowing a friends car while there. I’m from Australia and will have my international drivers permit and Australian drivers license with me. I’m 25 years old, have never made an auto claim in Australia or had any driving penalties, fines etc. I have a great credit history and am female. I will be staying with my friend for 6 weeks and using her car to get to and from sports training in Bozeman, Montana. I will be looking for coverage to make sure I am covered for the property of the car owner and any third party cover so if I hit someone I’m insured for that as well.

Dec 29, 2018 Bozeman, MT

Ava Lynch

Dec 29, 2018

Since you will be driving your friend's car, you will need to be listed on their insurance policy as a driver. Since your friend is the owner of the car, they are required to maintain insurance on it. You can't have 2 policies active for the same car. The other thing is, you will only be driving the car for a short period of time. Most insurance policies are for a six month period. You can cancel an insurance policy at any time but there are typically fees associated with canceling a policy early. Either way, the owner of the car needs to add you as a driver to their current insurance policy. Good luck and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.