What do I do if my vehicle was totaled while parked?

My car was totaled while it was parked. I'm with AAA and they're with Mercury. Mercury is now telling me the amount of damages might exceed the at-fault driver's the property damage limit. I'd also like to receive a rental car while I search for a new vehicle. How does work? Whose insurance do I go through?

Dec 1, 2017 Fargo, North Dakota

Ava Lynch

Dec 1, 2017

I would definitely involve your insurance company and let them know about the situation. The other driver's insurance company should be paying for your damage up to the limit of that policy, but if it doesn't cover everything then your current company should be able to help cover the rest. This could be through your uninsured or underinsured coverage or your collision coverage. You may be required to pay your deductible, but there's a good possibility you will be reimbursed for it if they settle with the other company. In terms of wanting a rental, the at-fault insurance company should be covering your vehicle. You will need to contact them to request a temporary vehicle replacement while yours is being repaired.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.