Yes, you will need to have insurance on this new vehicle to legally drive it in Washington. As for the documents to actually purchase the car, you will need:
- Ideally, a vehicle history report, owner’s manual and anything else that came with the vehicle.
- Smog test (if required by your state).
- Title (which requires the seller to go to the DMV or AAA office with you for registration).
- A bill of sale stating VIN (vehicle identification number), mileage, plate number, both the seller and buyer’s names and addresses, and the sale amount.
- Original title with seller’s current information on it. Make sure the name matches the seller’s ID if it is a private, cash sale.
For more information about buying a car out of state, check out our guide here
. Plus, if you're looking for new Washington car insurance
, we have several options to choose from.