Who files a claim if each party in the relationship has their own auto policy?

My car was in the shop. I used my boyfriend's car and got in a weather-related accident. Which policy do we put the claim on?

Jan 5, 2021 Union, NH

Ross Martin

Jan 5, 2021

You will want to use your boyfriend's insurance to cover this claim. He would need to have full coverage for the vehicle to be fixed. There is a chance you may not be a covered driver, so you will want to discuss this with his insurer to make sure. Using your insurance while driving someone else's car would only give you liability coverage. I highly recommend combining plans so you both have coverage for all household vehicles, or at least adding each other as covered drivers.

Compare auto insurance rates and save up to $670 per year!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.
Related Questions