Whose insurance pays out if a borrowed vehicle is damaged?

I was driving my friend's car and was involved in a hit-and-run where the other driver took off. Do I need to file the claim with my insurance company or with the company that insures my friend's car?

Jun 26, 2016 Houston, TX

Neil Richardson

Jun 26, 2016

I'm very sorry to hear about your crash and these situations can be extremely confusing so I'm glad you came here for your answer. The insurance coverage that is already on the vehicle should act as primary in this situation assuming that the vehicle is insured with comprehensive and collision coverage or possibly uninsured motorist property damage. In the event that the coverage on your friends vehicle doesn't include physical damage then you would file the claim under your policy. If neither policy has physical damage coverage then you would have to pay for the damage out of pocket. Best of luck!

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.