Ask An Agent


Get free insurance advice on demand



Will car insurance cover my special needs car seat?

My car was recently totaled by a falling tree. I have comprehensive coverage. The insurance adjuster declared the car and car seat a total loss. My car seat was a $2500 special needs car seat for my severely disabled child. The insurance adjuster offered me $100 for the car seat. Don’t they have to compensate me for a comparable car seat in order to make me whole?

Agent Answer

Ava Lynch

Sorry to hear a tree fell on your car. You are right. Your comprehensive coverage will cover the damage to your car. As far as the car seat goes there are a few things to take into consideration. Is the car seat permanently installed in your car? If it is then you would need to have special equipment coverage to replace the car seat. Special equipment coverage will cover anything that is added on to the vehicle that is not factory installed. For instance, a wheel chair lift, or in your case a specially designed car seat. You would need to show receipts/proof for the cost of the car seat.  If you do not have special equipment coverage then it is up to your insurance company as to how much they will compensate you to replace the car seat. If you have home or renters insurance, you can also see if they will compensate you for the car seat if the tree falling happened on your property. Good luck and don’t hesitate to ask if you have any additional questions.

Was this helpful?

1 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More