Will my car insurance pay for damage I caused while riding my bike?

I lost control of my bicycle and it hit a parked car. There was a big dent in the door so I exchanged information with the owner. Should I contact my car insurance company?

Feb 2, 2017 San Diego, CA

Neil Richardson

Feb 2, 2017

Your auto insurance policy is intended to cover your liability while driving a car. If you are liable for damage that does not involve your vehicle, you would need to file a claim with your renters or homeowners insurance company. If the repair costs are less than the deductible on your home or renters policy, you might consider paying for the damage out of your own pocket.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.