Ask An Agent


Get free insurance advice on demand



Will I be covered if I build my house in a flood plain?

Will insurance providers provide me with insurance if I build in the flood plain? And is the cost determined by how far in the flood plane I am? I would like to also know if there are types of dwellings I could build that can be in the flood plane.. especially based on the foundation.

Agent Answer

Ava Lynch

There’s a couple of things to think about. Flood insurance is provided by the federal government through FEMA and the NFIP. Unless you go through a private company, you will not have the same kinds of coverage via NFIP as you would a traditional policy. There is much less coverage for the policies.

  • Rebuilding your home: up to $250,000 in coverage
  • Personal property: $100,000
  • Additional living expenses: $0
  • Coverage to other structures: $0.

Because of this, you should think twice about building a home in a flood plain. Regardless of how much property you actually have, the maximum amount you will receive is listed above. As for your second question, I’m not an expert in dwellings and thus do not feel comfortable answering that question. I would speak to a contractor.

Was this helpful?

0 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More