Ask An Agent


Get free insurance advice on demand



Will insurance cover damage caused by an aging house?

We have plaster ceilings and the one of my dining room was cracked and about to fall would homeowners insurance cover that? It isn’t water damage it’s just because the house is old

Agent Answer

Ava Lynch
Typically, a homeowners policy will not cover things like wear and tear. But it depends on how the damage was caused. If the damage is caused by a peril that is covered on your homeowner’s policy then you could file a claim. A peril is an event that causes the damages. Some examples of perils are wind, fire, and theft. There are several other perils that can be covered under your policy so you will want to check with your agent to find out what your policy includes. Now, if the cause of the damage is just maintenance that needs to be repaired then it will not be covered under your insurance policy. Good luck and if you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Was this helpful?

0 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More