Will insurance cover someone other than the insured?

My dad and I live separately. But if I were to borrow this vehicle and get into an accident, would I be covered under his insurance or mine?

Dec 18, 2017 Malibu, California

Ava Lynch

Dec 18, 2017

While it can vary by company, insurance will follow the car rather than the driver. So, in the event you get into an accident in your dad's vehicle, his insurance would be primary and yours would be secondary. Now, the type of coverage you would receive would depend on what coverage your dad has and the accident in particular.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.
Related Questions