Will I lose my accident free discount if I file a hit and run claim?

Someone backed into my car at the grocery store. I didn't know until I came out. Will my rates go up for this if I file a claim? I currently have an accident free discount on my insurance and am 42 yrs old.

Aug 25, 2018 Elizabeth City, NC

Ava Lynch

Aug 25, 2018

You will lose this discount and most likely your rates will be impacted if you file a claim. How much your rates will be impacted depends on the types of coverage you have and what coverage pays out to fix your car. If you have uninsured motorist property damage coverage, and you filed a police report, you will be able to claim the accident under this coverage. If you are able to file it under uninsured motorist, the accident will be reported as a not-at-fault accident. Not-at-fault accidents will not impact your rate as much as an at-fault will and it will only be on your record for up to three years. If you do not have uninsured motorist coverage but you do have collision coverage, you can have the damages repaired under this coverage. If you use your collision coverage to pay for the damages, it will be reported as an at-fault accident. At-fault accidents will stay on your record for up to five years and impact the rates more than a not-at-fault accident. Keep in mind most insurance companies require you to report an accident, even if a claim isn't submitted. For more information, check out our article on what to expect if you do file a claim. Good luck and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.