SECURA Insurance Review
- With 2.5/5 stars in 2023, SECURA is an average insurance company.
- Read SECURA reviews, complaints and prices before you buy.
SECURA insurance: Ratings and reviews
Secura Insurance has carved a niche in the market with its focus on customer service and comprehensive coverage options. With a long list of insurance products available and competitive auto insurance prices, SECURA is a long-running insurance provider. However, it's important to note that its reach is not as widespread as many of its counterparts. Let's examine the attributes and limitations of this insurer.
Broad list of insurance products
Additional auto insurance coverages available
Poor customer reviews
Not available in all states
No online quoting – only independent agents may quote
The Zebra Customer Satisfaction Survey
In addition to third-party ratings, we like to incorporate the results from our own consumer survey where we ranked which auto insurance companies are the best based on feedback from real customers. However, we did not collect a sufficient amount of data on SECURA for it to be included.
How much does SECURA Insurance cost?
Currently, the national average for a 6-month car insurance policy is $880, whereas SECURA is about $525 or roughly 40% cheaper than a typical policy, making it a very affordable option for those in covered states.
The table below shows how SECURA auto insurance compares against other top insurers.
Similar to any insurance company, pricing for SECURA auto insurance does vary based on your age and generally will get cheaper the older you get.
The table below shows SECURA's car insurance premiums for different age brackets.
|Age Group||Avg. Monthly Premium|
Dynamic auto insurance data methodology
Methodology: The auto insurance rates displayed above and throughout this page are dynamic, meaning the data will refresh when the most recent information is made available. Rates are based on a sample driver profile — a 30-year-old single male driver with a Honda Accord and full coverage. This profile was adjusted based on common pricing factors used by major car insurance companies, like age, coverage level, driving record and others.
Secura provides several discounts, many of which are available to MILE-STONE Gold or Basic policyholders for home and auto. Some of SECURA's discount opportunities are listed below.
- Valued policyholder discount: Rewards long-term policyholders with savings over time.
- Financial stability discount: Discount for maintaining good credit scores.
- Early quoting discount: Savings when the policy is quoted prior to the effective date.
- Select pay discount: Reduced premium for full-pay or electronic fund transfer payments.
- New home credit: Credit for homes less than 10 years old.
Additional discounts such as airbags, anti-theft devices, multi-car, package and accident prevention may be available. For a full list of the company's discounts, read more here or contact one of their agents.
Search, compare and buy all on one site. Start saving today!
What types of coverage does SECURA offer?
SECURA offers standard coverage options, including liability, collision and comprehensive coverages. Additionally, Secura's MILE-STONE package offers consolidated home and auto insurance with a unique set of coverages. There are Basic and Gold tiers of coverage, and you may choose to include the following:
- Roadside Rescuer: This is SECURA's roadside assistance service, providing tire changes, lockout services, towing and more to policyholders.
- Travel Rescuer: If you're over 100 miles from home and need emergency help, this coverage provides travel and medical assistance.
- Identity theft protection: Provides one-on-one assistance and reimbursement for recovery expenses if your identity is stolen.
- Accident forgiveness: If you have been accident-free for three years, your first accident will not result in a rate increase.
- Glass Express: This coverage is for auto glass repair and replacement
Read more information on these and other coverage options here.
Additional lines of insurance
SECURA offers many insurance products for both individuals and businesses and offers even more specific insurance products for niche needs. These include:
- Underground service line coverage
- Hobby Farm
- Business property & liability
- Workers' Compensation
- Cyber Security
- Farm owners
- Event insurance
SECURA insurance review: Summary
Secura Insurance, while lauded for its affordable prices and excellent financial standing, has drawbacks such as limited state availability, underwhelming online services and poor scores from BBB customers. However, customers with unique insurance needs could look towards SECURA for more specific insurance products. As with any insurer, prospective customers should weigh these pros and cons against their individual needs and preferences.
Methodology — how The Zebra reviews insurance companies
The team of insurance experts at The Zebra considers the company's standing in five main categories to come up with an overall rating. These metrics are weighted according to importance and are detailed below:
- Price (20%): Using the base profile detailed below, we compared the company's average rate with the national average. If it surpassed this average, we gave a lower rating; if it fell below, we awarded a higher rating.
- Coverage (20%): The highest-scoring companies offer a variety of coverage options, including bundling options, roadside assistance, telematics, beyond-basic coverage levels, and a variety of other coverage types.
- Customer service (30%): We averaged ratings from JD Power, the NAIC complaint index to come up with a rating for the company's customer service. In instances when a company is not rated, we may use alternative rating agencies such as the Better Business Bureau and Trust Pilot.
- Financial strength (10%): We use AM Best to determine a company's financial standing. In some cases when a company is not rated by AM Best, we may use an alternative measure such as Demotech.
- The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey (20%): The Zebra conducts an annual survey measuring customer satisfaction for many of the top insurance companies with the goal of ranking both the best auto insurance companies and best home insurance companies. Read more below.
For our auto insurance review, we analyzed more than 83 million insurance rates spanning every U.S. ZIP code using a sample user profile: a 30-year-old single male driver with a Honda Accord, good credit and full coverage at these levels:
- $50,000 per person/$100,000 per incident for bodily injury liability
- $50,000 per incident for property damage liability
- $500 deductibles for collision and comprehensive coverage
For our home insurance review, rates are based on a sample user profile: a 45-year-old married homeowner living in a 2,500-square-foot single-story home built in 2011 with these coverage levels:
- $200,000 for the dwelling
- $20,000 for other structures
- $100,000 for personal property
- $100,000 for personal liability
- $1,000 deductible
These sample premiums are dynamic and automatically refresh whenever the newest data is made available.
To generate pricing for particular rating factors, we adjusted this profile based on common pricing factors used by major car insurance companies. These factors include credit score, coverage level and others.
For The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey, findings are based on an online quantitative survey of 4,134 current U.S. auto and home insurance customers, with Census-balanced sampling by age, gender and region. Categories with n=<20 responses are considered insufficient sample size and are not reported. This survey was developed by The Zebra and executed by independent research firm Maru/Blue in 2023.
SECURA insurance: Frequently asked questions
Is Secura a good insurance company?
Secura Insurance is an okay option for individuals seeking affordable premiums in AZ, CO, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, MI, MN, MO, ND, PA and WI, particularly if they have unique insurance needs. However, keep in mind it may not be suitable for those looking for online quoting and they do have low customer scores from BBB customers and the NAIC.
What states is Secura in?
Secura Insurance operates in Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.
What does Secura's Milestone Gold package include?
Secura's Milestone Gold package includes a broad range of coverages like travel and medical assistance, roadside assistance, identity theft protection, pet protection, accident forgiveness, and glass repair and replacement.
What discounts does Secura offer?
Secura offers good credit, early quoting, pay-in-full, ETF payment, new home credit and long-term policyholder discounts.
Get quotes from 100+ companies with The Zebra!
About The Zebra
The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
- The Zebra’s insurance editorial content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
- The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
- The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.