It can be tough out there on the road. That’s why we’re bringing you 12 ways to avoid a speeding ticket, directly from a former San Diego cop! We know, we know: You’re Welcome.
1. Don’t weave in and out of traffic—it only draws attention to you.
2. Don’t tailgate—that draws attention to you, too.
3. If you’re pulled over, be polite.
4. But don’t admit you were speeding!
5. Apologize for not paying careful attention to your driving…
6. …and promise you’ll do better immediately.
7. Don’t bother with the tears.
8. Or the seduction techniques.
9. Or the arguing.
10. Try to come up with a creative excuse. “If a driver came up with a creative excuse I had not heard before and it made me laugh (rare but possible), I let them go with a warning,” Dr. Steve Albrecht says.
11. Rest assured if a cop launches into a lecture: You may be off the hook. “Most cops follow this rule: give the a lecture or give them a ticket, not both.”
12. If you get the ticket anyway, take a deep breath and remember it’s not the end of the world. Let it go.