Stonegate Insurance review: coverage options, complaints, and customer service info
Primarily offering insurance in the state of Illinois, Stonegate Insurance is a regional insurance company for the standard and preferred consumer market. This means the company primarily does business with drivers typically seen as “responsible” — those with fewer accidents and violations, better credit, and a lengthy history of maintaining insurance, compared to drivers who are considered non-standard.
Stonegate insurance policies can be acquired through a network of independent agents, as online quoting is not yet available. Learn more about this insurance company’s operations, including coverage options, discounts, and customer complaints by reading our Stonegate insurance review below.
Stonegate car insurance coverage options
Auto insurance coverage options offered by Stonegate include the usual suspects: liability, collision, comprehensive, uninsured/underinsured motorist, and medical payments. Towing and rental car expenses are also covered under a Stonegate auto policy. Detailed below are some notable endorsements that may be added to supplement your coverage.
Learn more about common car insurance endorsements.
Add-ons and other features used to customize or modify your vehicle — like height-extending roofs, pick-up tops, and special carpeting or insulation — are covered by this endorsement.
Stonegate offers separate deductible waivers for windshield glass repair and a collision. One caveat to keep in mind for the latter is that it is only applicable if you’re involved in a collision with another car that is insured by Stonegate.
In-car AV and electronic equipment
Permanently installed electronic equipment is covered up to a limit with this endorsement. It also includes media like tapes, records, and discs. Your deductible is not required to use this coverage.
Stonegate auto insurance discounts
Though Stonegate offers fewer discounts than most national insurance providers, there are some standard, common discounts on car insurance to take advantage of to avoid paying full price.
- Multi-car: Insure more than one car on your policy to get a multi-vehicle discount.
- Good student: Stonegate will reward your good grades with a lower rate.
- Defensive driver: Prove you’re a safe, defensive driver by taking an approved course to save on your premium.
- Anti-theft device: Receive this discount if your vehicle is equipped with an anti-theft device.
- Senior operator: Older drivers may be eligible for a senior discount.
- Renewal: Expect some savings when it’s time to renew your policy.
- Bundling: Pair a Stonegate homeowners policy with your auto to qualify for this bundling discount.
Stonegate homeowners insurance review
Standard home insurance coverages for your dwelling, other structures, personal property, liability, loss of use, and medical payments are included as part of a Stonegate homeowners policy. Homeowners in Illinois can also broaden their coverage by opting in for some optional add-ons. To learn more about endorsements for home insurance, explore more options here.
Replacement cost for home contents
Losses of personal property are usually paid out on an actual cash value basis, which deducts for depreciation. Replacement cost ensures you receive the full amount required to replace what you lost.
Increased liability limits
Boost your liability coverage by extending the limit with this endorsement. If you cause damage to someone else’s property and subsequently face legal repercussions, increased liability coverage will protect you financially.
Coverage for certain valuables like jewelry, electronics, and fine art are given sub-limits, meaning your insurer will only cover up to a certain amount regardless of your personal property limit. Having a scheduled property endorsement will loosen these restrictions on the valuables you choose to protect.
Home replacement guarantee
This endorsement guarantees that even if the cost to rebuild or replace your home surpasses your coverage limit, Stonegate will replace your home regardless.
Stonegate home insurance discounts
Policyholders can be eligible to receive discounts on their Stonegate home insurance policy by way of a credit system. Below are available credits you can qualify for if you choose Stonegate as your homeowners insurance provider.
- Bundling: Purchase an auto policy alongside your home policy to receive this credit.
- Deductible: An increased deductible can lead to saving on your premium.
- Alarm systems: Lessen your risk profile by equipping your home with security or alarm systems to see some savings.
- Retired homeowner: Folks who are retired can qualify for a reduced rate.
- Loss-free: Receive this credit if you have a claims-free record. This credit is only available for HO-2, HO-3, and HO-6 policies.
- New home: Just became a homeowner? You may be in luck with a new home discount. This credit is only available for HO-2 and HO-3 policies.
Additional lines of insurance
Along with auto insurance for private passengers and homeowners insurance, Stonegate also includes the following lines of insurance:
- Commercial automobile coverage
- Business insurance, including general liability
Is Stonegate Insurance right for you?
If you’re an Illinois resident and want to steer clear of mega-sized, nationally-recognized insurance companies, Stonegate is a viable regional option for home and auto insurance. However, there may be certain risks in choosing a smaller insurance company. For instance, Stonegate’s financial stability is still unknown and unrated; this information is important in determining their ability to pay out claims.
Despite their better-than-average customer complaint rating by the NAIC, customer reviews elsewhere lean negatively, citing unprofessional service from claim agents. Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide if what you’re paying in premium is worth the risk of a lesser-known insurance company.
There’s no harm in shopping around for your next insurance deal and exploring other options. We recommend comparing quotes before the end of every policy period to uncover the cheapest rates. The Zebra makes it simple and straightforward, complete with an in-house insurance agency to assist with any questions. Enter your ZIP code below to get started on saving.