Travelers Auto Insurance Reviews, Coverage Options, and Ratings for 2019
4 OUT OF 5 RATING FROM THE ZEBRA
Travelers Insurance boasts a storied history when it comes to car insurance: the company is responsible for writing the very first automobile insurance policy, among other industry firsts. The insurance company got its start in 1864, originally providing travel insurance to railroad passengers — back when traveling long distances was far more dangerous than it is today. Fun fact: despite its namesake and company history, Travelers actually quietly removed travel insurance from its list of services in the 1990s. Nonetheless, Travelers is a major player in the insurance market, with a large portfolio of insurance products beyond property and casualty.
Let's explore coverage options, features, and discounts from Travelers car insurance to help you evaluate if it's the right company for you.
Get a Quote
|JD Power Rating — Average: JD Power rates Travelers a 3 out of 5 in overall customer and claims satisfaction. |
Financial strength — Superior: This rating indicates Travelers' excellent financial health ensures a very reliable ability to pay out claims.
NAIC Rating — Above Average: The National Association of Insurance Commissioners received fewer complaints than average regarding Travelers in 2018.
Travelers car insurance coverage options
Travelers is just as competitive as any big-name insurance player, offering the standard collision, comprehensive, and liability coverage — along with personal injury protection (PIP), uninsured and underinsured motorist, and medical payments coverage. Let's explore additional features and coverage options that may come in handy in the future, and can be added to a Travelers car insurance policy.
Travelers offers two levels of coverage that include accident forgiveness, which shields your premium by forgiving one accident every 36 months. Travelers' Responsible Driver Plan℠ includes minor violation forgiveness in addition to accident forgiveness; this forgives one minor traffic violation every 36 months and protects your premium from increasing by doing so.
You can take your coverage a step further by enrolling in their Premier Responsible Driver Plan®, which includes accident forgiveness and minor violation forgiveness, but also adds two additional benefits: Travelers' Decreasing Deductible® gives a $50 credit (up to $500 and will be applied toward your deductible in a covered loss) for every six months that all drivers on the policy are free of accidents or major violations. The second added benefit waives your deductible if your car is totaled.
Lease/loan gap insurance coverage
Typically, if your leased or financed car is deemed a total loss in an accident, your insurance company pays you the actual cash value of your vehicle which deducts for depreciation. This potentially leaves you in a situation where you still owe money on your loan or lease because of the gap between the actual cash value of your car and the remaining unpaid balance with your lender. Gap insurance covers the remaining amount so it doesn't have to come out-of-pocket.
New car replacement
This coverage will replace your new car with the same make and model if it's totaled within the first five years of ownership. Most insurers offer this coverage but it usually only applies for one to three years of ownership. Travelers bundles this option with the lease/loan gap insurance mentioned above, along with a lower auto glass deductible.
Rental car coverage
If your car is damaged in a covered loss and will be out of commission for more than 24 hours while it's being repaired, Travelers will cover rental car expenses.
Travelers offers two plans to choose from when it comes to roadside assistance: basic coverage and Premier Roadside Assistance®. At the basic level, towing is covered up to 15 miles and includes standard roadside assistance, including jumpstarts, flat tire assistance, and lockouts. However, if you opt for their Premier Roadside Assistance®, Travelers bundles a few features — in addition to roadside assistance, the company will cover towing expenses for up to 100 miles, and also include trip interruption coverage and personal property coverage. Trip interruption coverage reimburses you for meals and lodging if your vehicle breaks down at least 100 miles from your home and is out of commission for over 24 hours. Personal property coverage comes with a $500 limit and replaces stolen or damaged personal property in the event of a covered loss during your trip.
Travelers insurance discounts and reward programs
Depending on your driving history and location, premiums can get pricey but it doesn't have to be. You should always look into the discounts every insurance companies offers when you're looking for new car insurance. Along with some standard discounts, Travelers offers some unique ways to save on your monthly premium.
Discounts based on your policy
- Multi-policy: It's always smart to bundle your policies from one insurer and Travelers offers some savings in this regard. For example, you can save up to 10% if you bundle your car and homeowners policies and up to 5% if you bundle car and renters policies.
- Multi-car: If you insure two or more cars on one policy, you may be eligible for up to an 8% discount.
- Continuous insurance: Get up to 15% if you have no gaps in your insurance coverage.
- Early quote: If you're a new Travelers customer and get a quote before your current policy expires, you can expect a 3-10% discount on your new policy.
- Billing: Get up to 7.5% off if you pay in full, 2-3% off if you pay via electronic funds transfer or payroll deduction, or up to 15% simply by paying your premium consistently and on time.
Discounts based on the driver or vehicle
- Safe driver: Travelers recognizes good driving records by rewarding drivers with no accidents or violations with up to 10% off, and even more of a discount (up to 23% off) if you haven't had any infractions in the past five years.
- New car: You can get up to 10% off for purchasing or owning a newer vehicle that's less than three years old.
- Home ownership: If you're a homeowner, you may be eligible for up to a 5% discount on your car insurance even if your home or condo isn't insured by Travelers.
- Hybrid/electric vehicle: Save on your policy if you own or lease a hybrid or electric car.
Discounts for young drivers
- Good student: Travelers offers a student discount if you meet their academic requirements — maintaining a "B" average or being in the top 20% of your class.
- Student Away at School:If one of the dependents on your policy is a student who resides at least 100 miles from home and won't be driving your car(s), you may qualify for a 7% discount.
- Driver training: Complete a Travelers-approved driver education course and enjoy up to 8% off your premium.
- IntelliDrive® program: If you live in an eligible state, you can enroll in Travelers' telematics program, an app that tracks and evaluates your driving habits for 90 days. You can enjoy an introductory discount just for enrolling. Once the program is over, you can save up to 20% if the program determines that you're a safe driver. However, keep in the mind that depending on the state you reside in, if the program deems you to be a risky driver, you might actually see your premium increase.
Additional lines of insurance
Is Travelers car insurance right for you?
Rest assured, Travelers Insurance will cover your bases (and then some) when it comes to car insurance. Along with standard collision and comprehensive coverage options, some of the company's coverage add-ons conveniently bundle multiple benefits. Letting you choose from several levels of coverage, like accident forgiveness and roadside assistance, may be especially appealing depending on your driving habits and lifestyle. For instance, Travelers' Premier Roadside Assistance® might be very useful for peace of mind if you're frequently road-tripping or driving long distances.
For the most part, the discounts available by Travelers are quite standard against competing insurance companies but they also feature some unique ways to save some money, like discounts for homeowners and owners of hybrid vehicles.
However, the most foolproof way to save on car insurance is to shop around as much as possible, and The Zebra can help you compare quotes from multiple insurance companies for your new policy. See just how much you can save by entering your ZIP code below.