Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

What is the difference between personal property and building property?

I have a question concerning coverage with a homeowners policy when you rent out your home. What is the difference between personal property and building property coverage? Is it different if I rent my home to someone?

Mar 6, 2023 Chicago, IL

Author profile picture

Beth Swanson

SEO Content Strategist

  • Licensed Insurance Agent — Property and Casualty

Beth joined The Zebra in 2022 as an Associate Content Strategist. She is a licensed insurance agent whose goal is to make insurance content easy to r…


Thank you for reaching out to The Zebra. This is a great question that can go in a few different directions. But first, let's address how these are different. Personal property coverage will provide coverage to any personal belongings in the home. Basically, if you were to take the roof off your house and flip it upside down, everything that would fall out would be considered personal property. This includes things like clothing, dishes, furniture, electronics, refrigerator, etc.

In terms of building property coverage, this is coverage for the structure of your home — the dwelling coverage part of homeowners insurance. For example, if your home burnt down to the foundation this coverage would help to rebuild your home. With building property coverage there's much more that's taken into account to get that finalized number. Insurance companies will look at what the exterior walls of your home are made of, what kind of roof you have, your HVAC system, the types of countertops you have, what your floors are made of, and any other updates that you've made to the structure of the home. All of this (and much more!) information is used to determine how much building coverage you have to rebuild the home you have. 

Next, let's look at the rental aspect of your question. If you're renting your home as a long-term, unfurnished unit, the tenant will want to have their own renters insurance to cover their personal property inside the house. But if you have appliances, for example, that you've left at the house for the tenant to use, you might consider home and contents coverage with your landlord and rental policy. Your dwelling coverage will cover the actual building.

If you're renting your house as a short-term vacation rental, however, there are some different considerations. Standard homeowners insurance doesn't extend to operating a business from the home, as you'd be doing with an Airbnb, VRBO or other vacation rental situation. You should talk to your agent or company about endorsements or home-sharing insurance coverage they may offer. You might also consider a landlord policy in this situation, too.

There can be a lot to consider when renting your home, so be sure you've got the coverage you need and the price that fits your budget. If you're ready to shop around for a new insurer, give our agency a call at 888-444-8949 for a quote personalized to your situation.

Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Insurance is complicated, but it doesn't have to be.

The Zebra searches all of the top insurance companies, in one place, so you can compare the cost and coverage you need to protect your car, home and other property.

Step 1: Tell us a little about yourself

Choose an insurance product and enter your zip code to get started.

Step 2: Sip your coffee while we find the best quotes

Enter the necessary information and then sit back while we find quotes from 100 top insurance carriers.

Icon Fill Form

Step 3: Compare your quotes

Compare quotes side-by-side to find the right match for you, whether it's home, auto, or more.

Icon Agent

Step 4: Let our agents do the hard work for you

Once you pick your policy, our agents are here to get you over the finish line. Then just relax and enjoy your savings.

Compare auto insurance rates and save up to $670 per year!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Related Questions

Other people are also asking...

If I have an accident in a company vehicle and the company's insurance policy is covering the damage, do I have to tell my personal insurance company?

Since the damage is being covered by the company's commercial or business policy then he doesn't have to notify his personal car insurance provider. However, the car accident is still likely to show up on his driving record if a police officer wrote an accident report and his information …
Aug 5, 2018 Geneva, IL

Do I need to change my policy when I rent out my home?

Great question! This is an important consideration if you're planning to turn your primary home into a rental. The short answer is yes, you'll need to change your homeowners policy to a landlord policy. An insurance company would likely deny a claim if the proper coverage isn't in pl…

Does insurance cover water damage from a leaking shower?

Most homeowners policies cover water damage unless that coverage is specifically excluded. Look at your policy to see what coverages are included. If water damage is covered on your policy, it's impoirtant to also understand the limits (the maximum amount your insurance comapny will pay for th…
Jul 19, 2021 Beaverton, OR

Cost of sinkhole coverage in Tampa, FL

Florida currently requires homeowners insurance policies and by extension insurance companies to offer coverage for what they call “Catastrophic Ground Collapse,” which may not actually cover damage caused by a sinkhole. Catastrophic Ground Collapse coverage differs from sinkhole insurance by requi…
Aug 1, 2018 Tampa, FL