The nation's third most popular auto insurance company, Progressive holds a market share of more than 13% in the U.S. With more than $33 billion in direct premiums written, Progressive has more customers than USAA, Farmers and Nationwide. Let’s explore what makes this insurance carrier so popular, as well as some common coverage options and discounts.
Progressive Insurance Review
Progressive earned an overall score of 3.65/5 in The Zebra's review. Read more below to find out if they're the right carrier for you.
Why you can trust The Zebra
The Zebra partners with some of the companies we write about. However, our content is written and reviewed by an independent team of editors and licensed agents. Reference our data methodology and learn more about how we make money.
|Customizable coverage for both auto and home policies||Slightly above average price|
|Caters to drivers interested in bundling||Additional home insurance options are limited|
|Offers an array of qualifying discounts||Does not offer perks for enrolling in homeowners insurance|
|Ranked sixth overall in The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey||Ranks poorly for claims satisfaction by both JD Power and The Zebra|
How good is Progressive's customer service?
The majority of The Zebra's review incorporates how well Progressive scores in terms of customer service. In order to determine that we looked at the following third-party ratings.
Claims Satisfaction (J.D. Power): Below average
- Progressive earned below-average marks in J.D. Power's most recent claims satisfaction study
Customer Satisfaction (J.D. Power): Below average
- J.D. Power also rated Progressive as below-average in overall customer satisfaction
Complaint Index (NAIC): Average
- The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) receives relatively few customer complaints regarding Progressive, giving it an average rating
Financial Strength (AM Best): A+ (Superior)
- This high rating from AM Best shows Progressive maintains a solid ability to pay out claims
In addition to third-party ratings, we also incorporated the results from The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey, where Progressive scored a 4.3/5 overall. Below you can see where Progressive ranked for some of the individual categories.
4.4/5 – Progressive ranked #5 for ease of interaction in our survey.
4.4/5 – Progressive ranked #5 for customer service satisfaction.
4.4/5 – Progressive ranked #5 for online satisfaction.
Progressive vs. other top insurance companies
How much does Progressive cost?
Currently, the national average for an annual car insurance policy is $1,759, whereas Progressive is about $1,882/year or roughly 7% higher than a typical policy.
The table below shows how Progressive compares against other top insurers.
|Company||Avg. Monthly Premium|
Similar to any insurance company, pricing for Progressive does vary based on your age and generally will get cheaper the older you get, although Progressive does have the Name Your Price tool which allows you to tell them how much you'd like to pay.
The table below shows Progressive premiums for different age brackets.
|Age Group||Avg. Monthly Premium|
Dynamic auto insurance data methodology
Methodology: The auto insurance rates displayed above and throughout this page are dynamic, meaning the data will refresh when the most recent information is made available. Rates are based on a sample driver profile — a 30-year-old single male driver with a Honda Accord and full coverage. This profile was adjusted based on common pricing factors used by major car insurance companies, like age, coverage level, driving record and others.
Auto insurance discounts are dependent on certain qualifications and state availability. Below are some of the ways you can lower your monthly rate for Progressive.
- Multi-policy - if you bundle another policy with your auto insurance, you can earn a multi-policy discount. Progressive claims this will save you 5% on average
- Multi-vehicle - Progressive rewards multi-vehicle customers with a discount which they claim will same you 12% on average
- Continuous coverage - insurers see drivers with long insurance history as safe drivers. As such, Progressive will reward you for your years of insurance coverage with its own discount
- Homeowners discount - Progressive offers a ~10% discount to policyholders who own their homes. Note you are not required to carry home insurance through Progressive in order to qualify
In addition to what's listed above, Progressive offers other driver-based discounts including good student and teen driver, as well as some quote-specific discounts like sign online, pay-in-full, and automatic payment. View all of Progressive's discounts here.
Use The Zebra to compare rates from 100+ companies!
What types of coverage does Progressive offer?
Another key component of Progressive's review is the types of coverage options they offer.
Progressive provides all state-specific and basic coverage options you might need, including liability, collision, comprehensive, and uninsured motorist coverages. Below are some of Progressive’s custom coverage options and perks the company offers.
- Bundling options - in additon to homeowners, Progressive offers several other types of insurance that may be bundled together including boat, motorcycle, RV, condo, and even pet insurance. View the full list of Progressive's products here.
- Roadside assistance - Progressive’s roadside assistance coverage provides lock-out service, fuel delivery, flat-tire changes and battery recharge, regardless of your location
- Rideshare coverage - if you're a rideshare driver, Uber's and Lyft’s coverage options do not fully protect your vehicle, but Progressive’s rideshare coverage allows all your coverage to kick in when you're awaiting a ride request
- Rental car reimbursement - if your vehicle is unavailable after being involved in a covered accident, i.e., not regular maintenance, Progressive will reimburse your car rental costs
Read more about Progressive's coverages here.
Progressive's Snapshot telematics program is a usage-based insurance program, offering an average of $145 off premiums for drivers who track their driving habits with the app. Progressive uses a telematics device to monitor the times of day you drive, sudden changes in speed, and your mileage to better predict your driving habits and create your premium. Note you’ll need to have this device in your vehicle for one six-month policy period before the data can revise your premium.
Progressive review: Summary
In short, Progressive is a forward-thinking insurance company offering a wide range of coverage options and reasonable prices. The company's bundling options and telematics program give customers a lot of choice in how they obtain their coverage. Overall, The Zebra believes that Progressive is a great option for a wide number of customers.
Methodology — how The Zebra reviews insurance companies
The team of insurance experts at The Zebra considers the company's standing in five main categories to come up with an overall rating. These metrics are weighted according to importance and are detailed below:
- Price (20%): Using the base profile detailed below, we compared the company's average rate with the national average. If it surpassed this average, we gave a lower rating; if it fell below, we awarded a higher rating.
- Coverage (20%): The highest-scoring companies offer a variety of coverage options, including bundling options, roadside assistance, telematics, beyond-basic coverage levels, and a variety of other coverage types.
- Customer service (30%): We averaged ratings from JD Power, the NAIC complaint index to come up with a rating for the company's customer service. In instances when a company is not rated, we may use alternative rating agencies such as the Better Business Bureau.
- Financial strength (10%): We use AM Best to determine a company's financial standing. In some cases when a company is not rated by AM Best, we may use an alternative measure such as Demotech.
- The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey (20%): The Zebra conducts an annual survey measuring customer satisfaction for many of the top insurance companies. Learn more here.
For our auto insurance review, we analyzed more than 83 million insurance rates spanning every U.S. ZIP code using a sample user profile: a 30-year-old single male driver with a Honda Accord, good credit and full coverage at these levels:
- $50,000 per person/$100,000 per incident for bodily injury liability
- $50,000 per incident for property damage liability
- $500 deductibles for collision and comprehensive coverage
For our home insurance review, rates are based on a sample user profile: a 45-year-old married homeowner living in a 2,500-square-foot single-story home built in 2011 with these coverage levels:
- $200,000 for the dwelling
- $20,000 for other structures
- $100,000 for personal property
- $100,000 for personal liability
- $1,000 deductible
These sample premiums are dynamic and automatically refresh whenever the newest data is made available.
To generate pricing for particular rating factors, we adjusted this profile based on common pricing factors used by major car insurance companies. These factors include credit score, coverage level and others.
For The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey, findings are based on an online quantitative survey of 4,134 current U.S. auto and home insurance customers, with Census-balanced sampling by age, gender and region. Categories with n=<20 responses are considered insufficient sample size and are not reported. This survey was developed by The Zebra and executed by independent research firm Maru/Blue in 2021.
Progressive: Frequently asked questions
Is Progressive a reliable insurance company?
As one of the most popular insurance companies in the United States, Progressive is in a strong position financially and has relatively few consumer complaints per the NAIC. But it's worth noting that the company may fall short for customer service and claims satisfaction. While this is something to look out for if you're considering Progressive, it's still a reputable company with a wide array of coverage options and available discounts.
Where is Progressive offered?
Progressive is available in all 50 states plus Washington, D.C.
Is Progressive good about paying claims?
Progressive's willingness to pay claims is something to watch out for — JD Power rated Progressive as below average for claims satisfaction.
Who is cheaper, Progressive or GEICO?
Experts at The Zebra found that GEICO is cheaper than Progressive by about $28 per month.
Get quotes from 100+ companies with The Zebra!
Customer Questions about Progressive
Do I need to put everyone in my household on my policy?
I got into an accident by I'm not on the insurance
How many cars can I have on my progressive policy?
Grace period for adding new vehicle with Progressive
About The Zebra
The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
- The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
- The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.