Will my rate go up if I file a claim for a damaged side mirror?

I was parked in my garage at work and someone hit my side mirror. Only the glass is broken. Will my insurance rates go up for this claim? I have a BMW.

Jun 18, 2019 Houston, TX

Ross Martin

Jun 18, 2019

Put simply, any time you file a claim, there is usually a rate increase. Since you don't know who it is that hit you, you would have to go through your own coverage. Glass claims fall under a comprehensive claim, which tends to be small. However, even small claims can lead to a rate increase.


I recommend getting an estimate for the new side mirror prior to filing a claim. Furthermore, unless you have specific glass coverage (which would give you a lower deductible), the value of damage must exceed your deductible prior to insurance providing compensation. A side mirror claim might not exceed a standard comprehensive deductible.


This decision is ultimately yours. Best of luck, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.
Related Questions