Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

If I hit a tire in the road, is that considered a comprehensive claim?

I was driving behind an SUV and didn't have time to swerve out of the way of a tire on the road. Should I claim comprehensive? I didn't have time to see the tire on the highway and had to run over it as best I could. I tried to run over the tire in the middle of my car, but it was blown up and stretching across the whole lane. My right side tires hit the blow up a piece and part of the tire smashed my grill breaking some of the bumper and the fog light. It also did some damage under the carriage too. I now have a damaged bumper, grill fog light and probably tires that need re-balanced and aligned. I've never had a claim on my car before and my deductible is low. Should I claim comprehensive on this incident or will it raise my rates too much pending on how much it is?

Aug 18, 2018 Columbus, OH

Ava Lynch

Aug 18, 2018

This accident would actually be paid out under your collision coverage because you collided with the tire. Because you only damaged your own vehicle in this single-vehicle collision, it would also be considered an at-fault collision claim. What you should think about is the rate increase you will probably receive after filing a claim. On average, an at-fault accident raised premiums an average of 47% in Ohio in 2020. Because of this, I recommend the following:

  1. Get an estimate for the repairs prior to filing a claim.
  2. On average, an at-fault collision claim raised rates in Ohio by $438 per year. You should think about that rate increase over 3 years as that is how long you will typically be charged.
  3. Compare the $438 (or $1,314 over 3 years) plus your deductible to the out-of-pocket expenses. If it is cheaper to file a claim, file a claim.

If you do find it is cheaper to file a claim, take a peek at our claims calculator and guide on how to file a claim. Keep in mind, most insurance companies require you to report any incident involving your vehicle, even if you decide to not file a claim. Sounds like there is quite a bit of damage so I would get estimates for the damages, that way you will have all of the information you need to make an informed decision. Good luck and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Related Questions
Other people are also asking...

What coverage do I need if I hit a deer?

Normally when you are driving and hit something in the road then the damage would be covered under collision. However, hitting a deer (or any other animal) is considered a comprehensive claim since it is an unexpected variable and falls under the category of an "act of god," much like hail damage or vandalism.
Feb 18, 2016 Bryan, TX

Do car insurance companies share information?

The new insurance company is likely to find out about the accident, but that will come from your driving reports when you buy your policy. The majority of insurance companies request a motor vehicle report (MVR) and a comprehensive loss underwriting exchange (CLUE) report to verify the accuracy of a new customer's driving record.
Jun 29, 2016 Findlay, OH

What part of my policy covers my car if I hit a pothole?

The resulting damage from hitting a pothole is actually considered an "At Fault" accident and would be covered under the collision portion of your policy. The reason this is the case is because insurance companies expect drivers to operate their vehicles safely and watch for hazards in the road to avoid frivolous claims.
Feb 29, 2016 Santa Fe, NM

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.
Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free