Should we keep our adult son's car insurance in our name?

We're putting the car title in our 21-year-old son's name. Our son still lives with us and is going to college, expecting to graduate in another year or so. Our concern is protecting our assets in case our son is in an accident or is sued. We are willing to keep paying for insurance on the vehicle unless that opens up a possibility that we could end up being sued for our adult son's actions. If our son gets insurance coverage on his own, I assume the premiums will be much higher for him. If we keep the car's insurance in our name, will we still be liable if he has an accident?  

May 19, 2019 Murfreesboro, TN

Ross Martin

May 19, 2019

Put simply, if your son is on your insurance policy, you can be held liable for the damages he causes. You can put him on his own policy, but the rates will very likely be higher. However, you would not be liable for damages he causes. If you decide to put him on his own policy, make sure your insurance company excludes him as a driver so you no longer have to pay for him as a driver on your policy. When you exclude him, he will not be covered to drive any cars on your policy. For more information, have a look at the link below:

Good luck and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Related Questions
Other people are also asking...

Do I buy a car first or insurance first?

This can be a bit confusing your first time around so I should be able to help. Your best bet is to first determine which vehicle you will be purchasing.
Feb 23, 2016 Nashville, TN

Should I register my vehicle in the state I attend college in?

It depends. Obviously, you want to get the insurance in the state that the car is registered in.
Sep 24, 2018 Tampa, FL

Is there an age limit for a good student discount?

There is no way to say for sure outside of asking your specific insurance company. Most insurance providers that offer good student discounts have stipulations that may make you ineligible due to your age or the fact that you aren't covered on your parent's policy.
Apr 19, 2017 Minneapolis, MN