What do I do if a person hit me from the back and now is claiming to their insurance that I hit them?

I was involved in an accident. A lady hit me from the back. It was outside of my apartment. The gate had opened and I didn’t proceed. I told her I was fine and there was no damage. She did give me her insurance information but I didn’t give her mine. A few days later her insurance called and she texted me saying that I needed to pay for her damages because I hit her. Should I call her insurance and let them know the story or call mine? I would rather not get my insurance involved because I have had another accident in my daughter's car on the same policy.

Aug 15, 2019 Florence, SC

Ross Martin

Aug 15, 2019

Sorry to hear about your situation. From what I can gather, it appears that she hit the rear of your car while you were waiting at the gate of your apartment complex. If this is true, it's going to be quite difficult for her to make the case that you backed into her. That said, with no witnesses or police report to go from, you will likely need to get your insurance company involved. Even if you are not eager to get them involved, they can represent you when dealing with the other driver's insurance company. They can work on your behalf to assign fault and determine which party must pay out. Good luck. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.