Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Will my insurance rate increase after an uninsured motorist claim?

Someone damaged my car in a hit-and-run, resulting in around $1,000 in damage. I have uninsured motorist coverage, but how much would this increase my monthly bill if I were to file a claim? How long would the increased rate last?

Feb 2, 2018 Frederick, MD

Author profile picture

Ava Lynch

Insurance Analyst

  • 7+ years of Experience in the Insurance Industry

Ava joined The Zebra as a writer and licensed insurance agent in 2016. She now works as a senior insurance contributor, providing insights and data a…

I'm sorry to hear about the hit-and-run! That is a very frustrating situation. Uninsured motorist property damage coverage usually comes with a deductible, much like your collision coverage would. However, unlike collision coverage, an uninsured motorist property damage claim won't raise your premium as much as a collision claim out.

On average, a UIMP claim raises car insurance rates by approximately $98 per year.

In Maryland, this increase is smaller, usually adding up to an increase of $43 per year. Meanwhile, a collision (at-fault) claim could result in a $435 increase. Consider, however, that this is just an average. Your company might charge you more or less than this amount. To answer your last question, most companies will charge you for violations for as long as three years. So that $43 could stretch to $129 (plus your deductible).

As you likely know if you've had insurance for a while or made a claim in the past, whatever your deductible is will be the amount you have to pay out-of-pocket before your insurance will kick in to help. So, if your deductible is only $500, you'd pay half and the insurance would pay the other half of your $1,000 bill for repair. However, if your deductible is $1,000 or more, then you might consider just paying for the repairs yourself without filing a claim.

So, you've got two main options here:

  1. File a claim, pay your deductible, and see a minor increase for the next few years, and have a claim on your insurance history. Depending on your deductible amount, you may not get much help from the insurance company to pay for the $1,000 worth of damage.
  2. Pay for the $1,000 of repairs out of pocket and don't submit a claim. You then pay for the whole amount yourself, but you keep the claim off your record. If you've got a $1,000 deductible, you would still be paying this amount anyway.

I hope things get settled quickly and you're back on the road soon. Feel free to give our experienced agents a call at 888-255-4364 if you want to chat about uninsured motorist insurance, rental car coverage, or other potential policy changes in the future.

Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Insurance is complicated, but it doesn't have to be.

The Zebra searches all of the top insurance companies, in one place, so you can compare the cost and coverage you need to protect your car, home and other property.

Step 1: Tell us a little about yourself

Choose an insurance product and enter your zip code to get started.

Step 2: Sip your coffee while we find the best quotes

Enter the necessary information and then sit back while we find quotes from 100 top insurance carriers.

Icon Fill Form

Step 3: Compare your quotes

Compare quotes side-by-side to find the right match for you, whether it's home, auto, or more.

Icon Agent

Step 4: Let our agents do the hard work for you

Once you pick your policy, our agents are here to get you over the finish line. Then just relax and enjoy your savings.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Related Questions

Other people are also asking...

At-fault driver lied about having insurance

I would contact the police and let them know the insurance information provided is invalid. Give them all the information you have available to you; the other driver's license plate, police report, all photos of the incident, etc. Next, I would contact your insurance company and let them know …
Apr 14, 2018 Charleston, West Virginia

Will my insurance company reimburse me for a window I paid to replace?

I'm sorry to hear about the damage (and the sweater!). The good news is that since you are in California, glass claims should not impact your premium. In most locations, it's up to the discretion of the insurer to raise rates based on glass claims but in California, specifically, not-at-f…
Jun 25, 2021 Santa Monica, CA

Will homeowners insurance cover a collapsing ceiling?

It really depends on what is causing the collapse of the ceiling, but it is very likely to be covered unless the collapse occurred due wear and tear or negligence. Ultimately that decision is going to be up to your homeowners insurance company based on the terms and coverage of your policy, so you …
Oct 4, 2017 Columbia, MD

Why did my car insurance go up when I moved to a safer area?

We are sorry to hear that your insurance premium has increased so much. Insurance companies have different rating factors and zip code is one of them. As you've seen, depending on where you moved to can have a big impact on your insurance premium. Crime and traffic are factors, but so too are …
Mar 31, 2022 Vancouver, WA