Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

How does it work with insurance if I was hit by a moped

If you're struck by a moped and it damaged your vehicle, how do I handle this? If I call my insurance company and file a claim, will my car insurance go up even though I'm not at-fault? The moped struck my vehicle does not have insurance.

Jul 17, 2018 Everett, MA

Author profile picture

Ava Lynch

Insurance Analyst

  • 7+ years of Experience in the Insurance Industry

Ava joined The Zebra as a writer and licensed insurance agent in 2016. She now works as a senior insurance contributor, providing insights and data a…

The short answer is yes, your premium will go up if you file a claim. Anytime your company has to pay out on a claim your insurance will increase. If you do not want to file a claim with your company you can seek an attorney for advice on taking legal action to have the damages covered by the responsible party. This would fall under their liability coverage from their renters or homeowners.

If you do decide to file a claim, keep in mind that it will be filed under your collision coverage which will show up on your claims history as an at-fault accident. The reason is, that Massachusetts doesn't have uninsured motorist coverage for property damage. Anytime your collision coverage is used it is reported as at-fault. Bear in mind, any violation or at-fault that will stay on your insurance premium (and thus be chargeable) for 3 years. In Massachusetts in 2020, an at-fault accident increased annual premiums by an average of $730, meaning over three years you would pay an extra $2,190. 

Another thing to think about is the cost of the repairs. If the cost to repair the car is less than or not much more than your deductible you would want to pay out of pocket for the repairs. If you pay out of pocket the accident will not go on your record. Even if you do not file a claim, most insurance companies require you to report any incident. Check your policy for their specific guidelines as well as our article on when and how to file an insurance claim. Good luck and if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Insurance is complicated, but it doesn't have to be.

The Zebra searches all of the top insurance companies, in one place, so you can compare the cost and coverage you need to protect your car, home and other property.

Step 1: Tell us a little about yourself

Choose an insurance product and enter your zip code to get started.

Step 2: Sip your coffee while we find the best quotes

Enter the necessary information and then sit back while we find quotes from 100 top insurance carriers.

Icon Fill Form

Step 3: Compare your quotes

Compare quotes side-by-side to find the right match for you, whether it's home, auto, or more.

Icon Agent

Step 4: Let our agents do the hard work for you

Once you pick your policy, our agents are here to get you over the finish line. Then just relax and enjoy your savings.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Related Questions

Other people are also asking...

Do I still need uninsured motorist coverage if I have Medicare coverage?

You may still want to carry uninsured motorist coverage to avoid complications with medical bills if you are hit by an uninsured driver. It's good protection to have in place if your bills are high.  On the issue of property damage, you are correct. Without uninsured motorist property damage c…
Dec 4, 2019 Arcadia, CA

What are my options if I am paying over $700 a month in car insurance?

Unfortunately, it would appear that your girlfriend's insurance company sees her as a high-risk driver. This would explain her coverage being dropped and the new policy having expensive rates. There are many factors that come into play when insurance companies determine rates. Your driving rec…
Jun 5, 2019 New York City, NY

I cut down a big tree and it fell on my truck. Will insurance cover that?

Your insurance should cover the damages minus your deductible. In this case, you would file a comprehensive claim for the damage. A comprehensive claim does not raise your rate as much as a collision would — about 4.35% for your first comp claim.As a warning, they may investigate and take extra tim…
Nov 26, 2019 Missoula, MT

Will my auto insurance cover damage to a fifth-wheel camper, or should I use my RV insurance?

I'm so sorry to hear about your accident!  The best thing to do would be to contact your RV insurance claims department to see how they want to handle the claim. How this claim pays out will be dependent on the details of the accident. They can refer you to your auto insurance claims departmen…
Jul 21, 2022 Leakesville, MS