Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Can I avoid paying for insurance for my car while I am away for active duty military leave?

The car is owned by my father (because he has good credit) and I'm the co-signer. We took out a loan and are required to have full coverage no matter what, but if the vehicle isn't being driven and it's off the road does it really matter? I've already talked to my dad's insurance and they said the only thing they can do is take me off the policy (currently listed as a temporary driver to the vehicle ). They are still going to put my dad as the primary driver for the car, and they said we have to keep full coverage on it. My dad isn't going to drive the car at all, and he said he's not going to pay for the insurance cost every month. Im already going to be making payments on a car while I'm away, and I don't want to pay for insurance if I'm not even driving it. Any advice?

Aug 28, 2017 Dartmouth, MA

Author profile picture

The Zebra

The nation's leading independent insurance comparison site

The Zebra is an independent insurance advisor and quote comparison site with headquarters in Austin, Texas. Utilizing its real-time quote comparison …

The reason banks require comprehensive and collision coverage on a vehicle in storage is because it could be damaged by a fire or a collapse of the building in which it is stored. In addition to the bank, Massachusetts requires any vehicle registered in the state to also be insured. If you took the vehicle off of your father's policy you would have to return your license plates/tags to the state until you re-insure it. It's possible that getting yourself removed from the policy and paying your father for the vehicle's portion of the insurance premium while you're deployed would be the least expensive option. However, there are two other options I would recommend looking into.

First, I would contact USAA and get a quote for your vehicle. They offer accommodations for deployed service members who are insuring a financed vehicle with them. The second option would be to contact a local insurance agent in your area and inquire about a physical damage only car insurance policy. This type of policy only covers the vehicle against damage, which is what your bank requires, but does not provide any state-required coverage. If you go this route then you will be required to return your plates and registration tags to the state.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to completely avoid insurance costs, and there is no way to tell which of the three options will be the lowest until you get quotes. Call USAA for a quote, call a local agent about physical damage only insurance, and have your dad contact his insurance company to find out what your vehicle would cost to insure if you were removed from the policy. This will help you determine which option makes the most sense for your situation.

Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Insurance is complicated, but it doesn't have to be.

The Zebra searches all of the top insurance companies, in one place, so you can compare the cost and coverage you need to protect your car, home and other property.

Step 1: Tell us a little about yourself

Choose an insurance product and enter your zip code to get started.

Step 2: Sip your coffee while we find the best quotes

Enter the necessary information and then sit back while we find quotes from 100 top insurance carriers.

Icon Fill Form

Step 3: Compare your quotes

Compare quotes side-by-side to find the right match for you, whether it's home, auto, or more.

Icon Agent

Step 4: Let our agents do the hard work for you

Once you pick your policy, our agents are here to get you over the finish line. Then just relax and enjoy your savings.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Related Questions

Other people are also asking...

Do I qualify for USAA if my brothers are active military members?

Typically, USAA requires customers to be members of the military themselves, although eligibility also extends to the children (or spouse) of military members as well. Therefore, it's our understanding that siblings are likely not eligible to get their own policy. This applies to all branches …
Jun 10, 2020 Greenville, SC

At-fault FedEx driver is lying after a car accident

When you file a claim with your insurance company, the insurance adjuster will determine fault and work with the other party's insurance company to resolve the claim. Usually, the at-fault party would be responsible for the rental coverage. However, if your company pays for the claim (rather t…
Dec 31, 2018 Plymouth, MA

Does my son-in-law's military status (Marine) qualify me as USAA member?

It is my understanding that USAA eligibility flows "downstream" – which means you need to be a child or spouse of an established member to get a USAA policy. Therefore parents, or in your case in-laws, of USAA members are likely not eligible to get their own policy. This applies to all in…
Feb 15, 2018 Austin, TX

Does USAA membership extend to grandchildren?

From my understanding, your parent's would also have to be members in order for you to qualify for a USAA membership. Typically only children or spouses of USAA members are eligible, but I'm unclear on if that can skip a generation. The best way to get the most accurate information would …
Jun 4, 2018 San Antonio, TX