Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Can my bank charge me for car insurance?

I have my car financed through a bank right now. Can the bank charge me for their insurance policy when I had a gap for two months? I missed two months of payments on my previous insurance, but insurance was a condition of the loan.

Mar 6, 2023 Detroit, MI

Author profile picture

Beth Swanson

SEO Content Strategist

  • Licensed Insurance Agent — Property and Casualty

Beth joined The Zebra in 2022 as an Associate Content Strategist. She is a licensed insurance agent whose goal is to make insurance content easy to r…

Thank you for reaching out to The Zebra. This is an excellent question! When you finance a vehicle through a credit union or bank, they will require you to carry state minimum coverages, as well as comprehensive and collision coverage, on your vehicle. When you get approved for an auto loan the lender will usually write into the contract that if your insurance lapses, they'll obtain insurance for your vehicle on your behalf to protect their interest.

"Force-placed" insurance (or lender-placed) is when you're contractually required to have that coverage, and it lapses (like your two months without coverage) so they will provide the coverage for you. That means they choose the insurer, not you, but they cannot add extra coverages beyond what's required in the loan contract. Placing insurance on the car protects your financial institution in the event you total your vehicle and have not paid off the loan yet, so it is understandable that they need to protect themselves. Force-placing insurance is also referred to as collateral protection insurance. Typically, a lender will reach out to you before they force-place insurance. If by chance someone is actually insured and still gets charged for force-placed insurance, the amount will be refunded by the lender upon proper documentation of coverage.

For specific rules and expectations around your auto loan, I recommend speaking directly to your lender. If you need to find insurance for your financed vehicle and want to be the one making the decisions instead of your bank, then give our agency a call at 888-444-8949 to get a personalized quote.

If you have any other questions about insurance, don't hesitate to ask.

Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Insurance is complicated, but it doesn't have to be.

The Zebra searches all of the top insurance companies, in one place, so you can compare the cost and coverage you need to protect your car, home and other property.

Step 1: Tell us a little about yourself

Choose an insurance product and enter your zip code to get started.

Step 2: Sip your coffee while we find the best quotes

Enter the necessary information and then sit back while we find quotes from 100 top insurance carriers.

Icon Fill Form

Step 3: Compare your quotes

Compare quotes side-by-side to find the right match for you, whether it's home, auto, or more.

Icon Agent

Step 4: Let our agents do the hard work for you

Once you pick your policy, our agents are here to get you over the finish line. Then just relax and enjoy your savings.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Related Questions

Other people are also asking...

What should I do with my car insurance after I pay off my car loan?

3. It depends on the value of your vehicle. The answer to your third question is subjective and up to each individual to decide what suits their needs best. That being said, you should try to get a fairly accurate idea of your vehicle's actual cash value (ACV) since that is what GEICO would pa…
Jul 11, 2018 Slidell, LA

Can force-placed auto insurance be removed/refunded from a loan? If so, to what extent?

Yes, you should be reimbursed if you were actively insured during that time. I would call the carrier you had and make sure the lien info is listed correctly, and then obtain all declarations and a letter of experience. Take that to the loan/financing company and they should reimburse you on all th…
Aug 20, 2019 La Grande, OR

Can I get liability insurance for a financed car, and can I get gap insurance without full coverage?

Typically, no. You don't want liability only because the car will not be sufficiently protected. Full coverage includes comprehensive and collision coverage which protects the car when there is physical damage. Financing companies require this because you owe money on the car and they need the…
Aug 8, 2019 New Haven, CT

Can my father insure my car if I'm financing it?

In most cases, you can insure your car on your father's policy but you will have to be listed as a driver on the policy.  If you will not be driving the car you will need to listed as an additional interest on the policy for your vehicle. The person driving the car will need to be listed as a …
Oct 4, 2018 Cornelius, OR