Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

If the value of my home goes up, do I need to increase my coverage?

We bought our home several years ago before the most recent housing boom. Now, like everyone in the country, the home prices in our area are going through the roof! We haven't made any major additions to the home, but values in our area have increased significantly since we purchased. Do we need to increase our home insurance coverage to match the potential sales price of our house? 

Apr 1, 2022 Copely, Ohio

Author profile picture

Ross Martin

Insurance Writer

  • 4+ years in the Insurance Industry

Ross joined The Zebra as a writer and researcher in 2019. He specializes in writing insurance content to help shoppers make informed decisions.

Ross h…

The value of your home increasing is amazing for selling purposes. However, when it comes to insuring a home, insurance carriers value the dwelling (Coverage A) at a replacement cost. This means they will cover the actual amount to rebuild your home, in the event a covered peril leads to a need to repair or rebuild. 

Since the cost to rebuild the home doesn't include the value of land or the amount you could get for the property if you sold it, the replacement cost may well differ from the property value. 

You may still note a rise in home insurance costs this year as the cost to replace your home can rise as a result of materials growing more expensive. For example, the cost of lumber jumped dramatically in 2020 and 2021, adding about $36,000 to the average cost to rebuild a home. Factors like this that are out of your control can impact your insurance rates, even if the rising home prices in your area do not. 

If you have any concerns about your coverage or if you're getting the best rate for your home insurance, it's always great to compare your home policy with other carriers. Good luck and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. If you're looking for more information on home insurance, see our guide here.

Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Insurance is complicated, but it doesn't have to be.

The Zebra searches all of the top insurance companies, in one place, so you can compare the cost and coverage you need to protect your car, home and other property.

Step 1: Tell us a little about yourself

Choose an insurance product and enter your zip code to get started.

Step 2: Sip your coffee while we find the best quotes

Enter the necessary information and then sit back while we find quotes from 100 top insurance carriers.

Icon Fill Form

Step 3: Compare your quotes

Compare quotes side-by-side to find the right match for you, whether it's home, auto, or more.

Icon Agent

Step 4: Let our agents do the hard work for you

Once you pick your policy, our agents are here to get you over the finish line. Then just relax and enjoy your savings.

Compare auto and home insurance rates and save up to $670 per year!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Related Questions

Other people are also asking...

Does my son-in-law's military status (Marine) qualify me as USAA member?

It is my understanding that USAA eligibility flows "downstream" – which means you need to be a child or spouse of an established member to get a USAA policy. Therefore parents, or in your case in-laws, of USAA members are likely not eligible to get their own policy. This applies to all in…
Feb 15, 2018 Austin, TX

Will homeowners insurance cover a tree falling on my house when I cut it down?

It's very likely that you will be covered, assuming that your homeowners insurance policy is active and in good standing. Learn more about fallen tree damage and home insurance. Each insurance company has different stipulations depending on whether you have a named-peril or open-peril insuran…
Oct 7, 2017 Jacksonville, FL

Is it legal to change homeowners insurance policies without the approval of all parties on the deed?

As long as you're on the deed, you do not need permission from all parties in order to change your homeowners insurance. Keep in mind that anyone with a vested interest could also insure the property how they see fit, but if it is in your name then you're free to alter the policy if you w…
Oct 23, 2019 Houston, TX

Should I add a property manager as an additional insured?

Thank you for reaching out to The Zebra! This is a great question, and with people owning vacation homes or short-term rentals, it comes up fairly frequently these days. It's common for a property management company to want to be listed as an additional interest on your insurance policy. Most …
Feb 14, 2024 Whidbey Island, WA